What is a VIN check?
VIN stands for "vehicle identification number".
Every vehicle has this number etched in several places. When you purchase a vehicle from out of state, the VIN must be checked by a local police department to verify that the paperwork is correct and that the vehicle is not stolen.
- This department performs VIN checks for North Kingstown residents only.
- VIN checks are performed from 10:00am to 11:30am and 4:30pm to 6:00pm, seven days a week. An officer will be called in from the road to check your vehicle (subject to availability).
- A state imposed fee of ten dollars ($10.00) is required. You must pay by check or exact change (officers do not have change).
- A valid out of state registration or title is required.
- You must bring your vehicle with you.
- A VIN check is required for any vehicle 10 years old or newer.